- Map it
Bells Island is one of two populated "island" communities that are found in the Currituck Sound. Small but easy to access and explore, the island is a good side-trip for visitors who want to uncover every corner of Currituck County.
About the Area
Bells Island is located in the town of Currituck and is easy to access from US 168 via Bells Island Road. It takes just 7-8 minutes and 3.5 miles of driving to cover the length of the island from the Currituck mainland, making it an easy off-the-beaten path destination.
The island was originally home to a remote community that was sustained by individual farming, hunting and fishing. Today, while hunting and fishing are still recreational past-times, the community is popular with Chesapeake area communities and other full-time residents.
There are about 75-100 residences on Bells Island, but no grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants or other amenities. (This is not a huge inconvenience considering that the center of Currituck is literally about 3-4 miles away.) Many of the properties are soundfront or Canalfront, with easy access to the Currituck Sound.
Bells Island Campground
The big (and only) attraction on the island is the Bells Island campground. Located at the very southern tip of the island, the campground is a popular destination for Currituck County visitors who want to be close to the water in a secluded, and relatively quiet community.
Here's a quick overview of Bells Island Campground highlights, features and facts:
- The campground is situated on approximately 22 acres of land that is adjacent to the Currituck Sound.
- Bells Island is one of the oldest campgrounds in Currituck County and first opened to visitors in 1963.
- The campground is located 5 minutes away from the Knotts Island ferry, and is a 20 minute boat ride away from the beach community of Corolla. It's also a 45 minute drive away from the Outer Banks beaches.
- Area restaurants within a 10-minute drive include the Pass the Salt Cafe, McDonalds, Currituck BBQ Company, and the roadside Morris Farm Market for fresh produce.
- Bells Island Campground features 39 full hook-up RV sites, 24 RV sites with water and electricity, and a separated collection of 26 tent areas.
- Campground amenities at Bells Island include a dump station, restrooms, and shower facilities for campers.
- Community amenities include tennis courts, horseshoe pits, basketball and volleyball areas, and a boat ramp and fishing pier.
- Popular activities in the campground include fishing, crabbing, boating, swimming, sailing, and jet skiing.
- Pets are allowed but must be leased at all times.
- Rates vary depending on the type of site available, as well as the season. The campground is open year-round and visitors can all (252) 267-2284 for current rates.